We smelled a rickroll revival 3 weeks ago… and a revival we’ve had. A roundup of the latest in rickrolling:
Search trends for “rickroll” and “rick roll” circa March 3rd, 2008:
vs. today, March 25th, 2008…
Out of Free Art & Technology Labs we see tools to both infect and cure:
- RollTube, a Firefox extension which transforms all YouTube videos into autoplaying rickrolls. “Super evil mode” also has the extension name itself “Firefox Plugin Updater.” Ouch.
- Rickroll Database communally documents all known rickrolls and provides a “rickblock” subscription for AdBlock Plus to prevent you from ever seeing them.
In real-world rickrolling:
- Kenyatta Cheese of Rocketboom live rickrolls NextNewNetwork’s Tim Shey with a singing telegram. Due to overwhelming demand said singing telegram service begins to offer a specific rickrolling service, and has allegedly flown people out to London to ruin/enhance some John’s day.
- College basketball game gets rickrolled – dude dresses in a trench coat and “rickrolls” the game’s audience, but there’s a little too much editing going on there if you ask us… one take or it didn’t happen.
Rickroll in the press:
- basketball rickroll in the New York Times, also LAist
- The Guardian provides a thorough retrospective
- Gawker proclaims loudly: “Rickroll is the plague killing the Internet“
- Digg users celebrate 20 years of rickroll (March 12th) with 4800 diggs
Whew…. can this keep up?